Monday, September 25, 2017

TAKING THE KNEE


September 25, 2017


Rep. Dana Rohrabacher,
101 Main Street #380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Dear Congressman,

Re: Taking the knee

I did not watch football yesterday. Did you? I did, however, watch reports on the NFL games and the reaction to Trump’s presumptious , crowd-pandering Friday night speech, in which he castigated a football player for “taking the knee” instead of standing for the national anthem; and, by extension, suggesting that all (well, mostly black!) football players were sons-of-bitches who should be hounded out of the stadium if they exercised their first amendment rights.

What’s wrong with this man? Has he no sense of or respect for common decency—nor for the basic rights of all Americans? His arrogance and ignorance are simply monstrous. Even if you happen to disagree with this form of protest against the inherent racism that infects our society (I don’t), the chosen alternative of “taking the knee” seems to me entirely respectful and, indeed, powerfully eloquent.

I found the solidarity among the NFL players, backed up by the team owners and coaches, to be profoundly moving. Yesterday was a quiet day of reckoning for many Americans, I believe, who were challenged and provoked to thought by the action of so many of their sports heroes. I wish I could think it was a quiet day of reckoning for the man who sits in the Oval Office, masquerading as our president. I can’t. I’m quite sure he thinks he did nothing wrong, and that he’ll spurn the request for an apology I heard from so many quarters yesterday.

What do you think about all this? I’m sure you respect our athletes. Will you join them, in solidarity, in condemning the president’s rash oratory?

Respectfully,


Peter Clothier, Ph.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK OUT!

June 9, 2018 Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, 101 Main Street #380 Huntington Beach, CA 92648 Dear Congressman, You may be surprise...