Thursday, July 13, 2017

UP IN ARMS


13 July, 2017

 Rep. Dana Rohrabacher,
101 Main Street #380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Dear Congressman,

Re: Up in Arms

I neglected to ask this earlier, when I spotted the article in the New York Times about an effort to pass legislation allowing (requiring?) all congressional representatives to carry a weapon. It was, I believe, in part a response to the shooting of several representatives and aides at baseball practice a few weeks ago.

My question: where do you stand on this issue? Perhaps you already “pack heat,” as they say here in America? If so, I trust you’re properly trained in the weapon’s use. Or do you agree with Rep. Brian Babin of Texas (!) who introduced the legislation permitting members of Congress to carry concealed weapons? How do you plan to vote, I wonder, if it comes to that? I’d be interested to hear.

You’ll not be surprised to know that I am not a fan of the widespread ownership of guns in this country. If you throw the Second Amendment at me, I’ll argue that the men who wrote it could never have foreseen, and would never have approved, the bloodshed that results from the kind of careless, irresponsible or criminal gun ownership sanctioned by the senseless influence of the National Rifle Association. Nor could they have foreseen the firepower of today’s weaponry.

I’m not asking for prohibition—though I admit I’d like it. I’m asking for reasonable rules and regulations to prevent the most avoidable of abuses.

Respectfully,


Peter Clothier, Ph.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK OUT!

June 9, 2018 Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, 101 Main Street #380 Huntington Beach, CA 92648 Dear Congressman, You may be surprise...