Saturday, October 28, 2017

PAINTING? POSTER?

October 28, 2017

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher,
101 Main Street #380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Dear Congressman,

Re: Painting? Poster?

I’ve been looking at a couple of images of you in front of either a painting or a poster, I’m not sure which? In one of them you’re with another, younger, bearded man brandishing guns and what looks like a bottle of tequila (see below). In the other, you appear to be playing cards at a gambling table.

I’m interested in the image. Was it taken in your office? Your conference room? Surely not. A gambling den somewhere? I’d be interested to know. The central figure in the picture seems to scattering something, possibly cash. And has pinup girls clutching at his legs. Below, a red baize-covered gambling table, like the one at which you sit...

Ah, got it, after a little bit of online research. The bearded guy turns out to be a professional gambler, profligate and Lothario. And obviously a gun enthusiast. The picture is likely taken in his den. I think the heroic image in the painting is none other than himself.

By the way, as you have no reason to know: I was an art critic in my professional life. That might explain my interest. What I read from the image behind you, and of you in the two images, is essentially fuck-you cynicism, along with decadence, sexism, and abuse of power. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I'm just a killjoy. But I’d still like to see a better reproduction of that image. Could you help?

Best thanks,



Peter Clothier, Ph.D.






No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK OUT!

June 9, 2018 Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, 101 Main Street #380 Huntington Beach, CA 92648 Dear Congressman, You may be surprise...