Wednesday, April 11, 2018

YOUR TWEET


April 11, 2018

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher,
101 Main Street #380
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Dear Congressman,

Re: Your Tweet

Just when I complain about your not tweeting (amongst other communications) you go ahead prove me wrong by tweeting yesterday. A nice coincidence.

But I have to say your tweet made little sense to me. You seemed to be commending your Trump for “standing up to dictators with strength” and asserting that his fooling around with tariffs has resulted in China backing down. I don’t see it that way. In the current skirmish that may, or may not precede a trade war with China, I see little sign of an overall, well-thought strategy for American business; and I’m sure that Xi Jinping plays better chess that does our impulsive president. (Sorry, I still can’t bring myself to give him a capital “P”!)

As for strength, I see none of it in Trump. Strength comes in part from a sense of inner security, in part from a clear vision and persistence in the pursuit of it. In Trump I see foolhardiness in the place of fearlessness, which is weakness posing as strength. Strength also recognizes and acknowledges vulnerability; it reaches out for and embraces assistance and advice. It does not make loud proclamations about itself, but rather stands back, modestly, and operates with quiet efficiency.

When it comes to the need for real strength, we see Trump backing down on every issue. We see him cowering before dictators rather than standing up to them, as you claim. What he projects is empty bellicosity, not power—and I’m afraid the whole world knows it. I’m surprised that you would argue otherwise.

Respectfully,


Peter Clothier, Ph.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK OUT!

June 9, 2018 Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, 101 Main Street #380 Huntington Beach, CA 92648 Dear Congressman, You may be surprise...